Owosso MI – The Steam Railroading Institute (SRI) is excited to be partnering with Michigan Operation Lifesaver, Great Lakes Central Railroad, Canadian National Railway Company, Shiawassee County Sheriff's Department, Owosso Public Safety and more to host the first annual Steaming for Safety! This free open house at the Institute serves to educate and raise awareness on the importance of safety around railroad tracks and equipment. The event will take place on September 25th in observance to Operation Lifesaver’s Rail Safety Week, Sept. 20-26, which raises awareness of the need for rail safety education and empower the general public to keep themselves safe near rail grade crossings and railroad rights-of-way.
- Fun and educational programs and activities regarding railroad safety will be provided inside the Welcome Center. In addition, a variety of free items will be available for the public from Michigan Operation Lifesaver and Norfolk Southern Corporation.
- Pere Marquette 1225 will be in participation as an educational tool through hands-on presentations. Demonstrating the importance of using good judgment around historic and fascinating equipment. At this moment in time, 1225 will not be under steam for this event.
- Visitors will be able to up close to a variety of displayed safety vehicles whose top priority is keeping both the public and the railroads across Michigan safe.
Additional Family Friendly Activities:
- Short caboose rides aboard the “Yard Goat” Demonstration Train.
- Live Music provided by SRI’s own Los Hobos.
- Train rides on the Institute’s 7.5” gauge miniature railroad around the SRI grounds.
- Tours of SRI’s fleet of historic railroad equipment.
The Steam Railroading Institute is in the process of planning future events & excursions. At this time, there will be no Fall Color Tours for 2021 and preparations are currently underway for 2021 North Pole Express excursions. We hope to have ticket announcements soon!