Owosso MI – After a hiatus in 2020, the Steam Railroading Institute (SRI) is excited to host it’s first event of 2021 at the museum. In partnership with event sponsor, Schluckebier Hood Wealth Management Group of Stifel, Christmas in July | The Polar Express™ Screening will be a FREE outdoor event on July 24th. The event will offer food and entertainment at 7pm, followed by a movie-in-the-park style screening of THE POLAR EXPRESS™ at dusk.
The Pere Marquette 1225 will be on static display with the movie being screened on the side of the auxiliary water tender. The locomotive is renowned for its role in the classic Christmas book and movie, THE POLAR EXPRESS™. Author Chris Van Allsburg was inspired by the 1225 for his widely successful children’s book. In 2004, Warner Bros. Entertainment then created the animated movie, using actual blueprints as the prototype for the animated locomotive renderings. The film crew even came to Owosso, MI to capture the sights and sounds of the engine in operation, which are used throughout the movie!
Additional FREE Family Friendly Activities:
- The Pere Marquette 1225 will be on display for cab tours and photo opportunities.
- Santa Claus will be taking a break from his summer vacation to make a special appearance.
- Live Music provided by SRI’s own Guitar Slim and his Hobo Gang.
- Train rides on the Institute’s 7.5” gauge miniature railroad around the SRI grounds.
- Tours of SRI’s fleet of historic railroad equipment.
- Local food vendors.
With Covid-19 restrictions lifted, the Steam Railroading Institute has begun planning future events & excursions. At this time, there will be no Fall Color Tours for 2021 and preparations are currently underway for 2021 North Pole Express excursions. We hope to have ticket announcements soon!