Interior of Northern Pacific Dining Car 462.
Over the last year, our passenger fleet has grown tremendously! Besides the Pere Marquette Parlours, SRI witnessed the arrival of five additional passengers cars in Owosso to be used on future excursions. Now it's time to get acquainted with the newest additions to the family!
This unique car was built by the Budd Company for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway’s El Capitan luxury coach train in 1964. The car was purchased by the Steam Railroading Institute in 2019 and returned to service later in the year. It’s currently used to provide a connection between all single-level equipment and our hi-level Pere Marquette Parlours, while also providing crew quarters in the dormitory section of the car. The next step is preparing the coach section for passenger service once again on future excursions.
Built in 1956 by the Budd Company for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, this car’s lifespan began as a 50-seat coach known as “Silver Halter” and numbered 4739. When Amtrak took over the majority of the nation’s passenger service in 1971, 4739 was renumbered to 5016. In 1985, the coach was reconfigured to a diner-cafeteria and numbered 8716. Rebuilt and reconfigured yet again in 2009, it was finally numbered 8532. The last use of this car was in 2018, being retired with 6,250,217 miles. Acquired in 2019 by the Steam Railroading Institute, plans are being made to return the car to full passenger dining service on future excursions.
This diner was built in 1958 by the Budd Company for use on the North Coast Limited: between Chicago and Seattle. The diner was briefly renumbered to 1296 when the Burlington Northern Railroad took over the Northern Pacific in 1970. 1296 was sold to Amtrak in 1971 when Amtrak took over the nations passenger service and renumbered the car to 8048. Acquired in 2019 by the Steam Railroading Institute, plans are being made to return the car to full passenger dining service on future excursions.
Northern Pacific 372 was built in 1954 as a 6-8-4 (6-standard roomettes, 8-duplex roomettes and 4-double bedrooms) sleeping car by the Pullman Company for use on the famous North Coast Limited. 372 was sold to Amtrak in 1970 when Amtrak took over the nations passenger service. Later sold to Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus in 1994, it was used for 3 years before being sold into private ownership in 2001. Acquired in 2019 by the Steam Railroading Institute, plans are being made to perform some repairs allowing 372 to be used by crew when our excursions require crew to stay out on the railroad during excursions.
Canadian National Coach 5447
This car was part of 2 orders in 1952 and 1953 for 218 80-seat coaches for modernization of the Canadian National Railway’s passenger service. It was built to designs of the Pullman Standard Car and Manufacturing Company and delivered from the Canadian Car Foundry in early 1954. Coach 5447 was used on the Canadian National’s premier trains of the 1950’s. It was retained by the Great Lakes Central Railroad until 2019 when purchased by the Steam Railroading Institute.
For more information on these new passenger cars, visit our equipment page.