Built in 1919 with a 90-foot length, it was put in service on the Pere Marquette Railway at the engine terminal in new Buffalo, Michigan. It served a 16-stall roundhouse and was in use until 1984 when the Chessie System ceased operations at the terminal. Today, the relocated turntable functions much as it did during the steam era. The Steam Railroading Institute uses it to turn the equipment, provide service to the backshop, and for demonstrative purposes for visitors. The Pere Marquette 1225 used this turntable during its service despite its short length. SRI, upon purchasing the turntable, added an additional ten feet to the length of the bridge making it easier to accommodate 1225 and other large steam locomotives and rolling stock.