Chesapeake and Ohio Gondola 31262
The 50-foot gondola was the standard car for shipment of steel products, scrap metal, machinery, and other freight loaded by cranes or shovels. This car was built in December 1939 for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. It was retired from freight use and converted to a wheel car at Russell, Kentucky in 1969. Used for many years to move freight-car wheelsets by successors, Chessie System and CSX, the Bluewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society acquired the car in the late 1980’s. It came to the Steam Railroading Institute in 2007 and was repainted to a dual Pere Marquette/C&O scheme in 2008.