Amtrak Diner "Silver Halter" 8532
Built in 1956 by the Budd Company for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, this car’s lifespan began as a 50-seat coach known as “Silver Halter” and numbered 4739. Primary service included the Denver Zephyr between Chicago and Denver.
When Amtrak took over the majority of the nation’s passenger service in 1971, 4739 was renumbered to 5016. In 1985, the coach was reconfigured to a diner-cafeteria and numbered 8716. Rebuilt and reconfigured yet again in 2009, it was finally numbered 8532. The last use of this car was in 2018, being retired with 6,250,217 miles. This car has a seating capacity of 40 people.
Acquired in 2019 by the Steam Railroading Institute, plans are being made to return the car to full passenger dining service on future excursions.